Amish Coffee Cake

A lot of you know that my community has been taken over by the Amish , I'm pretty much right in the middle of it. So I get all the low down on everything Amish as my husband works for one. And I thought you might like to try this recipe straight from the Amish themselves. This is pretty good and I hope you enjoy it as well.



Amish Coffee Cake

Ingredients:
2 c. light brown sugar
2 c. flour
3/4 c. shortening
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. hot coffee
1 tsp. soda

Directions:
Mix sugar, flour and shortening until lumpy not creamy. Take 1 cup out and set aside for topping. Dissolve soda in hot coffee and add to the flour mixture. Also add egg and vanilla. Spread on sheet pan 9x12x2 inch and sprinkle on topping. This is going to be a thin batter. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar after baked.

This is a great coffee cake to have in the morning before heading out to work or school. Enjoy!